Sunday, August 26, 2007

purpose of this blog

Sometimes I think I want to write only for myself to remember and look back on things, other times I want to write to share with others. A blog in being on the web leans toward sharing with others, but you can still limit who you share with somewhat by giving your blog url to select people. I think you or someone else could stumble on your blog without having been given the url, but I am not sure how much this happens. Recently I had a conversation with a peer about how youth tend not to have a sense of boundaries that most of us older folks have. We discussed how youth share things on line, often than many have access to read that many older generation would consider too personal and maybe not appropriate to share in such public forum. I wonder if the fact that this "public" is not face to face with you, or even talking to you verbally creates a disconnect from them that drops some of these sense of boundaries? In this rambling I guess I am wondering how much and what things I want to share and with whom in this blog. One thing that spurred creation of this blog is that since June I have been on a different journey. I think we in some sense are always on a journey but for me, leaving my position as youth and children's ministries director at a suburban church without a clear idea of whats next has led me on this unique journey. I know that while I think I will take a break from being paid to do youth ministry, I still want to do youth ministry as a volunteer. It had been suggested that I work on the youth ministry for our Presbytery ( local governing/connectional body for the surrounding area. One thing I decided to do in connection with this is take the freedom of not needing to worship in the same church each Sunday to explore many of the churches in our Presbytery. It is also hoped to use these visits to connect with the youth leaders of these churches. Today in one such visit I felt compelled to write down some thoughts/reflections from this visit and use a blog to do the same for future and past visits.

No comments: