Sunday, August 26, 2007

Church visit #2 Buffalo Presbyterian church


I visited Buffalo Presbyterian for a few reasons. One it is somewhat in my area, a little bit of a hike. I was curious based on its website (the church looks big and modern) what this church would be like. I did not know much about it. Finally the new Interim pastor Julia is part of a planning group I am in. I was not exactly sure how long it would take me to get to the church and I needed to fill my car with gas on my way out ( I gased up in Rockford, which was a better price than around Plymouth/Maple Grove). So while the church was easy to find I got there a little late, during the announcements. The greeters at the door were freindly and welcoming . The church seemed smaller than I expected and had more of a country church feel to it, that felt to be in contrast to what I expected based on the contempary architecture of the building on the outside. The sanctuary had an older small town/country feel to it. I was surprised at how grey the congergation seemed and wondered if there would be any children for the children's message ( there were, not sure where they came from). The serivce its self was ok , Julia's sermon resonated with me as she talked about wandering in the wilderness, much like I feel with out a job or church home. I wondered as I left if this church will be able to capitalize on the rapid growth of Buffalo and the movement of the suburbs in that direction. Silly as it may sound the thing I was most excited about from this visit was not the church, but finding the great Menards store in Buffalo on my way out of town. If all Menards were like that I would shop there instead of Lowes or Home depot. seemed that they took the inside lumber yard idea from Lowes and home depot, plus this store had some basic grocery's much like non Supertargets. I am not sure if grocery's would work in metro area Menards but for Buffalo I am sure the one stop shopping really works. My overall impression of Buffalo was that of a country church that might need to make some changes to grow and become younger.

No comments: