Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Youth ministry and technology - connecting with youth

When I started this blog, the intent was to document my church visits each week. I have added some posts that deal with issues in the church. I had started another blog that dealt with Youth ministry as well as other interests of mine planes, trains, tigers and ministry that I think I will still update posts on the non-ministry topics, but will use this blog "Scott's Journey" to write about ministry topics.

now on to the post about youth ministry and technology - how to connect with youth? My intent with this post is not to state an opinion on this topic but to raise questions for further discussion.

Youth culture today is one were connections are made and maintained through various forms of technology. From MySpace ( which seems to be used less by youth as their primary or only online connection source), to Facebook, text messages and cell phones, youth seem to have no shortage of ways to communicate with their peers. I want to raise some questions about what role and boundaries should youth ministry leaders have in joining youth in this connected world?

Also what effect do these mediums have for youth of various social-economic backgrounds, their sense of popularity and having so much of their lives exposed to to their peers?

First questions about youth ministry adults and their use of technology to stay connected with their youth. In my work I was always looking for new ways or additional forms of communicating with the youth I worked with. I created an IM screen name, myspace pages for myself and the group and blogs for myself and the youth group. I had and used cell phone numbers for various youth and did e-vites for various events. These forms of communication were in addition to emails I sent the whole group ( and parents) and flyers that were mailed home to each youth.

In trying to reach youth in many ways, questions were raised from a concerned parent about IM discussions I had with youth ( protecting myself and them) and having names with pictures on the group blog. I quickly found an IM client that logged every word of IM chats I took part in and reassured the parent that I only used first names on the blog. Looking back I think my response was maybe too defensive and I did not look at some possible issues I should have.

One question is: what is the reason for entering the youth culture using the forms of communication that many of them use? What could be some possible drawbacks or benefits from doing this?

At one time I heard that sometimes youth will share things or respond in deeper ways in these forums and that this was a benefit or reason for youth leaders to be part of this world. At what point does this sharing or deep discussion cross some boundaries that should not be crossed between youth and adults who work with them? Is this possibly a reason to not take part in these forms of communication, or just something to be very cautious and aware of.

Another statement I heard recently that causes me to pause was that "when a youth enters a room or event that it is good to minister to them where they are at and who they are without knowing about certain things about them they reveal in these "connected" environments that might change your view of them." So the question I have is how much do we need to know or should we know about the youth we work with? Are there dangers in knowing too much about a youth?

Now on to questions about effects of these forms of communication for youth themselves. I wonder how much youth that do not have the economic means to have computer access or cell phones that their peers have are viewed by their peers? Also how much does friend count for youth's effect their self esteem? Is it good that youth can measure popularity in this way? Many youth on facebook show their relationship status and the question that someone raised to me on this is,does this make it tough for some youth to be single, or not in any relationship? Finally what boundaries if any do youth have about what they share in this non face to face communication? I wonder how or if youth ministries should have discussions with their youth about some of these questions?

I do think youth ministry leaders should find forums to discuss the questions about youth leaders, their roles and boundaries in this connected world. I know I said no opinion, I guess I would not say I think youth leaders should or should not take part ( this is a discussion they need to make for themselves) but I do think that doing so without discussion with others might be the wrong approach. I think this discussion could be with other youth leaders within a church, church leadership, or peers from other churches.

I am wondering if some online discussion forum for youth ministry leaders, paid and volunteer in the Presbytery of the Twin cities area might be something to look into. Please let me know if this is something you might be interested in taking part in. you can leave a comment on the blog or email me scdobo@gmail.com

No comments: