Seems most churches have at least one screen and projector in the sanctuary some of the time this day in age. Is this a good thing, is this a fad, or long term is this as much a part of the worship service as the organ or piano? Do churches use this visual technology well?
I have an older friend who claims if her church projects the hymns on the screen every week, she will change churches. I wonder how much churches have listened to the congregation before adding this tool to worship, or if they lose people like my friend and do not know why or hadn't considered feedback before making this move?
One church music director told me he liked the hymns on the screen because it forces people to sing out instead into their hymnals as they read the words. While I think this is an intersting arguement for projecting hymns, I have not seen a church that projects the music score with the words like it is in the hymnal. I do not really read the music notes when I sing ( I am always amazed when people call sing a musical note on command) but I know some do and I wonder what this does for songs espically unfamilar songs?
The one use of the screen I liked at first was the use of a camera to show the kids and the leader during the children's message, but I am wondering again who is the children's message for and why don't they use the camera for close up on the elements of communion? Also at some point are we making worship into a tv show or stage show? I have seen screens used for visuals during a whole worship service or just the sermon or announcements. The question is raised does this add to worship or become a distraction? see the children in worship post for Kirkagards vision of worship and think about how this technology fits or doesn't fit.
While I think the most prevelant use of technology in worship is the projector/screen trend/fad but there are uses of technology in worship to touch on. The other big technology issue in worship is related to sound. Having run the sound board at a church, things go well when no one notices the sound, there is no feedback and everyone can hear all of those leading worship. using Kirkagards vision of worship ( there is another word to describe this that I don't remember)
I wonder if churches instead of having the mics only up front could have them spaced thoughout the congregation for those in the pews to participate in worship with out always being up at the lectern or pulpit?
Also I wonder if pastors or worship leaders should give more thought to mics/sound when planning worship? to use the play ( thats it Kirkagard views worship like a play) metaphor, plays always have tech rehersals and tech notes in the script, why can't churches have a bulletin with tech notes for those running the sound or projector anf not a tech rehersal but a quick meeting with the tech people before worship ( pastors often meet with elders before worship when communion is served).
one last technology thing I haven't touched on yet the use of video clips in worship. I have a friend who went to a worship service service where a Nooma video was used for the sermon. My friend Dan showed a couple of us this video that dealt with a man on a walk in the rain with his infant son. Dan really related to this video with experiences he has had with his son. He was so passionate about the message of the video and his own related story that I encouraged him to ask the Pastor about doing this as the sermon for father's day. This would have been a semon that I think would have touched many fathers or those thinking about their father, more than a tradtional sermon. I am sure some would have complained about video in worship but I think this was an example of use of worship that could be very effective. I am sure I will have more thoughts about technology and worship in a later post.
Monday, September 17, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment