Today I rode with Gary " the Wass" up to Clearwater to meet with DJ and talk about the upcoming fall youth retreats. When we got to the camp DJ invited us to join him for lunch, Eric - a member of the summer staff and the "interim" program director also joined us. They took us to the Deerstand, a restaurant that was once a church and is now filled with various animal heads.
During lunch we talked about the retreats and got DJ and Eric talking about Clearwater history, and parts of the camp property that many people have not seen before. Some of this was a result of the Presbytery Sr High retreat having a theme that deals with seeing things with new eyes. In this spirit one activity of this retreat will be to see some things at camp few have seen in order to see Clearwater with new eyes. Gary and myself were fascinated with some of the things we learned about Clearwater. When we got back to the camp DJ showed us some places in Eagle basement ( including the entry to the tunnel connecting the carriage house) and the stones in the lake leftover from the construction of Eagle and railroad tracks used to move the stones. DJ also showed us a rate sheet from the 50's? I think a week at camp was $5.
On the way home we stopped at the Unclaimed freight store in Milaca. I have always wondered about this store but never took the time to stop. It was different than I thought, I think you could get some good bargins here and pick up some unique things. I think it would be fun to give youth $5 or less to see who could come up with the most unique item. One example of something I saw there was a giant, table top size Pez dispensor with a GB Packers helment that also played NFL sounds.
I came home from this trip exctied about the fall retreats and discovering more about Clearwater on my next trips there. One other Clearwater thing to look for if you are curious is the remains of the foundation for a traders shack that dates back to early fur trading days.
Wednesday, September 26, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment