I decided to visit St. Lukes this week as they were welcoming their canidate for their new head of staff Pastor. I also was curious about St. Lukes as I have heard lots of things about it. I found the church easily and was about 10 minutes early. I knew that they do not have an asphalt parking lot ( they would rather spend the money on mission) but was a little caught off guard by the chaos this brought . People parked on the grass, even right next to the church building and formed their own sense of parking rows. I was worried about getting blocked in after the service.
I walked into a modern space with a lot of energy and people socializing, was surprized at how many people where there that early before the start of the serivce. I wonder if this is due to a good education program before worship, if people came early to catch up after being gone during the summer, or maybe there was a meet and greet reception prior to worship for Dr. Gwin Pratt the HOS canidate. The worship space is just inside the doors so I made my way to a seat ( glad they had padding, and were not folding chairs as I had heard they had). I was disapointed there were no ushers but found the bulletins in the back. I was welcomed as I entered the building and then as a woman sat next to me she talked to me ( the first church in my visits where I knew no one that this occured). I laughed inside as I saw a section labeled as a "scent free section" , the pollically correct stuff begins.
Since the worship space and "narthex" area seem to flow together people seemed to socialize in the worship space as if it was fellowship time. This seemed to be more noticeable as the volume level of people visiting was high due to the concreate floors, high ceilings, open space and little soft surfaces to dampen the sound. The prelude started about 10 minutes late and it was amzaing how quickly the visiting ceased and it seemed people were prepared for worship. I think the time for centering is very good for this congregation.
The serivice started with announcements and the people doing the announcements were in a line by the podium so it seemed organized and went fairly fast. There was a book to sign and pass, but no passing the peace which surprised me with this socialable congregation.
The children's message was teaching the song "shake another hand" the congregation got into it. Rev. Gwin Pratt did a great job introducing himself and working humor and life application along with scripture into his sermon. My thought going in was being that the congregation would vote on him after the serivce, so this was a "trial sermon" as he descibed it, that this would be his best sermon.
Communion as I mentioned in previous posts is something I have strong opinions about so here goes. In the invitation to the table the Pastor invited parents to get their children from faithful friends ( where the kids go after the children's message) if they want to take communion. I have an issue with this , I do not think we need to do the whole first communion thing at a certain age, but at one time I heard and like the idea that taking communion is tied to and in response to the sermon and the scripture read. Therefore if the kids leave before the scripture is read and the word is proclaimed they should not come back for communion. I would say that with this arguement that if you are an adult working in the nursery or with the kids away from the sanctuary should not take communion unless you heard the sermon( some nursery's have the sound from the sanctary in them).
While I am still not a fan of intinction for doing communion I tend to have warmed to the idea if done efficently. Being the visitor I was surpized there were no instructions on coming down one aisle and back another but thought I would follow those around me. I was in the center of a row and half the row went one way , the other half went the other way. I watched as there was no sense of order to which aisle you went up and which you came back. people were walking around each other in both dirrections, it seemed like chaos to me. Then I listened and realized the music was a Beatles medly ( think during communion this seemed odd) and that people socalized like it was fellowship hour again ( more chaos) I missed the reflective nature I am used to during communion.
Following communion was the benedication and sending ( seemed strange to not have a closing hymn) but after the benediction the congergation grabbed each others hands and sang a closing song I really enjoyed but not being in the bulletin I did not know the words. the woman next to me who was a regular attender at St. Lukes commented to me afterwards even she did not know the words.
As I left I was greeted again by a woman who sat in front of me , so this congregation gets lots of credit for people greeting and welcoming vistors. Best so far in this sense I have experienced. I liked the friendlyness, welcoming nature of this congregation, but the chaos and the PC stuff would drive me nuts long term.
Tuesday, September 11, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment