Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Illnois quick trip November 10-11

This weekend I traveled with my family to Illinois to celebrate my Uncle Foof's 70th birthday. We drove about 6 1/2 hours each way and were there from about 4:30 pm Sat. to 10:30 am Sun. so we were there slightly longer than we were in the car. My Uncle Foof ( his real name is Philip, but one of his brothers could not say Philip and called him Foof and the name has stuck) is about a year younger than my dad and the second child ( my dad the first) in the La Salle Dobovsky's. Not only does my uncle have a unique name, he is a character, so Sat. night was a fun night of "roasting" him, heard many stories that have been told over and over and a few new ones. The celebration was held at an Italian restraunt in Illinois Valley that like all the best places in the area is known for it's fried chicken. After the celebration, my brother and I joined some of our cousins and Foof's partner Ski & his wife at a local bar, that was the place to be in La Salle/Peru but was a true hole in the wall, longer than it was wide and very few tables & chairs. It was fun hanging out with our cousins despite the smoke filled room (Il is not smoke free until Jan 1). I remembered bar close at 2am when I lived there but seems there is a newer law that keeps them open until 3am on Sat. night, we left the bar at 2:30 am and then stoped at the IHOP next to our hotel so it was a late night. I am bumbed I am not going to be at the Dobovsky thanksgiving this year at my cousin's home in San Fransico due to the cost of the trip and my limited funds. On the way out of town we drove by the home my dad grew up in (surprised it is still there with all the land it is on and how small it is)and then the cementary where my dads ashes are buried next to his parents. It was the first time I had been there since I missed gradmas funeral ( I was in Ohio at the time) and the time when my dad's ashes were buried (don't remember why). It was interestering as my Dad's marker was in between his parents and next to three trees.

No comments: